FUND RAISING FOR URBAN MINISTRIES :
SOME FUNDAMENTAL CONSIDERATIONS
by Ronald J. Meshanko, President, ERC
ERC Newsbriefs Excerpt, February 29, 1996
In the last issue, I addressed the key evaluators for determining if your ministry is ready for fund raising. In this issue, I will present more basic considerations that you should address before setting up a fund raising program for your ministry.
- Does your ministry have a 501(c)(3) IRS status separate from that of your church? If yest move on to question 3.
- Recruit a pro-bono attorney to assist with the legal papers and filing with the IRS.
- Contact your local government to check if any other nonprofit is using the name you have selected for your ministry nonprofit.
- Prepare articles of incorporation and by-laws and file them with the local government.
- Organize an incorporating bord of directors.
- File for a federal EIn (Employer Identification Number).
- File for an IRS 501(c)(3) exemption.
- Does your ministry have a balanced annual budget with both income and expense sections?
- Do you have set fund raising goals?
- have you trained your board in fund raising? If not, request ERC or another consultant to provide board training.
You should be able to answer YES to each of these questions before beginning a fund raising program for your ministry.
- Thanks for visiting The Grants and Related Resources Home Page.
This site is continuously updated and expanded, so check back soon for the latest changes.
- If you have any comments, notice any glaring inaccuracies, or would like to forward any relevant information concerning this Home Page, please send e-mail to:
- The "links" found in this web page are provided as a courtesy for grants
information seekers, but we cannot vouch for or take responsibility for information contained
in any beyond those maintained by the Michigan State University Libraries.
- MSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.
Jon Harrison : Page Editor
Funding Center Supervisor
Social Sciences Collections Coordinator
Michigan State University Libraries
E. Lansing, MI 48824-1048
Voice mail: (517) 432-6123, ext. 123
Fax: (517) 432-8050
Last revised : 02/09/96
This page has been visited
times since June 1, 1996.