Lecture Notes, PowerPoint Presentations and Workshop Instructions
- Working with a Conservation Vendor: A Top 10 List (or How a Small Vendor Helped Save a Big Grant)
- A PowerPoint presentation for the June, 2009, Library Preservation Vendor cofernece sponsored by the Michigan Library Consortium and hosted by the Kellogg Center at MSU. I talk about the Save America's Treasures grant MSU revieced in 2005 to conserve the Early American Schoolbook Collection and how we used finished the work using the services of Wiering Books, a private bookbinder in Grand Rapids. The presentation ends with a "Top 10 List" of ideas, tips and suggestions on how to choose and work with a conservation vendor.
- "You're Gonna Do What?!?" The Conservation of Paper-based Archival Materials
- A PowerPoint presentation created for the 2005 meeting of the International Council on Archives/Section on University and Research Institution Archives held at the Kellogg Center. The presentation illustrates how archivists can best preserve their unique manuscript collections and what types of conservation efforts are appropriate on such materials.
I also gave an updated and slightly modified version of this presentation for the 2007 Michigan Archival Association annual conference in Ann Arbor, MI.
- A Short History of Bookbinding - From the Earliest Codex to the Modern Case Binding: The European Tradition
- An illustrated PowerPoint presentation outlining the major changes and transitions in book binding and production.
- 19th Century Publisher's Cloth Bindings: Principles and Treatments for Conservation in University Libraries
- A PowerPoint presentation showing examples of publisher's cloth bindings, disucssing the technology of late 19th century book production, and a demonstration of how to conserve these beautifully illustrated books.
- Board Reattachment Workshop
- Information for participants taking a workshop I taught at the Garage Annex School of the Book Arts in Easthampton, MA. The information and pictures illustrate the differences between a tightback and hollowback leather-bound book.
- Sample Instruction Handouts from Book Arts Workshops
- A small collection of handouts from the various bookbinding and book arts workshops I teach. This link takes you to Eric Alstrom | BookWorks, which features my fine bindings and artists books.
These pages are maintained by
WebAlstrom Site Stats:
Made on a Mac